What it says on the tin…
This canister of preserved meat is part of the provisions of H.M.S. Fury which went out on the Arctic Expedition under the command of Sir Edward Parry in the year 1824; and after the loss of the Fury in 1825 was left by Sir Edward on the beach now called Fury Beach, where it remained until 1833, when Capt. Ross who sailed in the Victory on a similar expedition in 1829, having expended his own provisions, and being threatened with starvation, was compelled in 1831 to leave his vessel in Prince Regent Inlet, and travel a distance of 200 miles to Fury Beach on foot. After wintering there in 1832, Capt. Ross, having provisions, by taking some of these canisters, embarked in the boats belonging to the Fury, and arrived at Leopold’s Islands 14th of August 1833; and on the 26th day of the same month was picked up by the Isabella of Hull, Capt. Richard Wallis Humphreys, in Lancaster Sound, Lat. 74. Long. 80.30 W.
This canister given by Capt. Ross to Capt. Humphrey is by him presented to the Philosophical Society Newcastle.Sadly, it has not been seen for some time.
There are several items relating to the story in the library of the Lit & Phil:
Narrative of a second voyage in search of a north-west passage, and of a residence in the Arctic regions during the years 1829, 1830, 1831, 1832, 1833 - 919.8/57
The voyages and travels of Captains Ross, Parry, Franklin, and Mr. Belzoni :forming an interesting history of the manners, customs, and characters of various nations - 910.4/113
For events, news & offers...
Sign up to our e-newsletter
(You can unsubscribe at any time)