The Lit & Phil library is free and open to all, but there's so much more if you're a member:
- Borrow & take home from over 200,000 books & CDs
- No fines for overdue books (and very generous loan periods)
- Members' Only events
- Priority booking
- Access to additional rooms, including the Reference (silent) Room
- Three Members Magazines each year, via post or email
- Regular news and offers
There are several kinds of membership:
- Ordinary membership where you can borrow up to 12 books at a time - £133
- Associate membership for those under 30 and where you can borrow up to 6 books a time - £75
- Junior membership for anyone under 18 and where you can borrow 6 books a time - £12
- Family membership for 2 adults and children under 18 - £183
- Student membership (for those who can prove their student status) where you can borrow 6 books at a time - £55
- Friends' membership for those who want to support the library but don't want or need borrowing rights - £70
MUSIC LIBRARY MEMBERSHIP
- Gramophone only membership where you may borrow 5 cds/DVDs and 6 music related items at a time - £85
- Additional Gramophone membership
- For existing book members - £35
- Gramophone only (Associates) - £30
- Gramophone only (Students) - £20
- Gramophone only (Juniors) - £12
- For existing Associates - £10
- For Students - £8
- For Junior members - £6
- Membership of the music library also includes a subscription to the Naxos Music Library, a very comprehensive streaming service for classical music (see HERE). This alone would cost £174 a year to subscribe direct, so a music library membership is extremely good value!
Please note that your membership will start when you come into the library, as you need to bring proof of address (and proof of age/student status depending on the type of membership).
Do you live too far away to visit us? Why not become a postal member? Join in any of the categories above and pay the postage on the books you borrow.
To join the library please give us a call and you can join over the phone with a credit card during library opening hours (HERE) .
It is possible to spread the cost of membership over a year with Direct Debit. Please ask us for details.
Alternatively, you may, of course, call into the library and speak to a member of staff.
You can also click on the button below with any queries and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.
(Online purchase coming soon!)
For events, news & offers...
Sign up to our e-newsletter
(You can unsubscribe at any time)