Join The Library
- Access to 170,000 books - most books published after 1850 can be borrowed.
- Access to the most comprehensive music collection outside London.
- Generous loan periods with no fines for overdue books.
- Spacious library for work, reading and relaxation
- Access to additional rooms, including the Reference (silent) Room
- FREE wi-fi
- Members' Only events and priority booking for others
- Three newsletters each year, via post or email
The Lit & Phil holds a variety of events including lectures and book launches. We also organise themed festivals eg Books on Tyne and Newcastle Noir. Many classes and workshops are held here and we have become a popular space for exhibitions and art installations. Check the 'What's On' page for more details.
Check if we have that book you've been looking for. You don't need to be a member to search the catalogue; search by title, author, keyword or subject. Members can then reserve the book to collect later.